New Student Resources

The New Student Checklist will help guide you through a number of items to complete before and just shortly after you arrive on campus. This page will also help you with these items.

Arrival and Orientation Events 

Getting to Campus

Transportation from the airport to College Park is arranged by students on their own. The Graduate Student Government offers the Airport Pickup Program. Students should sign-up through the GSG to participate. Other options include, shuttle services, taxi, and public transportation. ISSS's New Student Arrival guide provides great resources regarding area transportation. 

ENTS Orientation Events

All new ENTS students are required to participate in one New Student Orientation Session and the New Student Welcome. We strongly encourage students to also complete the placement exams for ENTS 622 and ENTS 640 (No exams in Fall 2020). The results of the exams will determine if you are exempt from completing either/or two of the technical core courses. An "exemption" allows you additional room in your program of study to complete electives. If you do not take or pass the placement exam(s), you must enroll in both of these courses. There is no disadvantage to attempting the placement exams. The results are not a part of your academic record and this is your only opportunity to take the exams. 

ISSS Orientation Events

International students are required to attend one immigration session. You must register for your preferred session. ISSS also offers a variety of other orientation activities and events. We encourage you to participate in these sessions in order to help you transition to the academic culture and campus community at UMD. 

Graduate Student Kickoff

The Graduate Student Life office hosts a week of fun-filled activities for new and returning Grad Students! They offer a wide variety of activities throughout the first weeks of the semester that include prizes, food and drinks, bowling, billiards, photobooths, minigolf, dance lessons, crafts, information on UMD resources, and much more!

Graduate School Orientation

The Graduate School will host a campus wide orientation to provide students with an overview of the Graduate School at the University of Maryland. The Graduate School Orientation will be followed by a BBQ lunch.

Engineering Career Services

Engineering Career Services requires that new international students attend workshops in order to have their resume critiqued by a staff member. These workshops include "Job Search 101 for F1 Students" and "Resume Writing." These sessions will be offered throughout August so that students can take advantage and begin to prepare for their job-search. Students must sign up for these workshops..

Course Registration

The registration block for new students will be lifted in January for Spring and August for Fall. Once registration has opened, you can register via Testudo. The detailed instructions will help you register. In order to register you will need to establish a Directory ID and password by visiting the Office of Information Technology.

Campus Life

Directory ID and Email Account

The Directory ID and password provides access to most of the online resources for the university community. These include services such as course registration, library services, financial account information, and exam schedules. Students can set up their Directory ID and password by visiting the Division of Information Technology (DIT). 

International Students: You may be asked to provide your SID number to set up your Directory ID. Please see here for how to locate your SID.


Once you have established your university email account, please add yourself to the ENTS Student Listserv by emailing with the message "subscribe ents-students <Your Name>" in the body of the email. All important announcements and deadlines are sent to students through this listserv. You are responsible for the information that is sent. 

University ID Card

Once you arrive on campus, you can get your Student ID Card from the first floor in the Mitchell Building. They are open Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. You must be registered for at least one class before you can obtain your ID card! Bring your student ID to all ENTS Orientation sessions and the placement exams. 


All students are required to complete the Immunization Form to attend the University of Maryland. Make sure to include your UID on the form. International students should also follow the additional requirements. Immunization appointments can be scheduled at the University Health Center. 

Campus Map

Explore the University of Maryland campus with the interactive map!

Tuition, Fees, and Billing

The ENTS Program is a differential tuition program. Tuition as of Fall 2021 is $1166.00 per credit hour for all students, including US Citizens, permanent residents, and international students. In-state status is not taken into consideration for the ENTS Program. Students are also responsible for mandatory fees as listed by the university. Mandatory university fees are announced by the Bursar's Office

Payment due dates depend on when you register for classes. Students should refer to the Bursar Office for official due dates, billing, and payment information. Students are urged to regularly check their Student Account.

If you have questions about your tuition fees and payment, please contact the Bursar's Office directly.

Parking and Transportation

The Department of Transportation Services (DOTS) addresses commuter, transit, green commutingbiking, and parking needs of the campus community. DOTS coordinates availability of campus parking facilities by allotting parking permits. It also operates numerous commuter shuttles throughout the surrounding communities.

Academic Calendars

The Provost's Office provides academic calendars for past and upcoming semesters. 

Graduate Student Life


Off-Campus Housing Services provides UM students with the ability to access OCH 101, an online housing rental search database, so that students can create a customized search that best meets their housing criteria. Priority for on-campus housing is given to full-time undergraduate students by the Department of Resident Life

In addition, the University has partnerships with privately-owned apartment complexes. Southern Management offers graduate-only housing at Graduate Hills and Graduate Gardens, located just off campus. There are also several new, privately-owned apartment communities located close to campus: Mazza Grandmarc, The View, The Varsity, and The Enclave. If you want to take a more independent approach to finding housing, you can always consult The Diamondback, the University's student newspaper. The Diamondback has a classifieds section for roommates, , and Our University of Maryland College Park apartment search results page

Short-Term Lodging in August is available through the Department of Resident Life. This program accommodates a limited number of graduate students for temporary stays in a residence Hall during August while they search for permanent housing. Stays are limited to 3 nights and requests must be submitted directly to

Health Insurance

Graduate students are eligible to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan as a voluntary student online at Students must be registered for at least one credit hour to enroll. Student can also find additional information about insurance at the University Health Center or by calling the Heath Center Business Office at 301-314-8165. Graduate students are not required to complete the health insurance waiver.

Graduate Student Life Office and Handbook

The Graduate Student Life Office and the Graduate Student Life Handbook offers advice for graduate students on a variety of issues such as graduate assistantships, childcare, discounts for graduate students, student ID cards, ordering textbooks, and other useful information. The GSLO offers events just for graduate students throughout each semester. The Handbook also has a checklist for new graduate students to help you get settled at the University.

Student Organizations

Participating in student organizations can help students get involved in the University community and make a wide network of friends. 

Telecommunications Students and Alumni Network (TSAN)

TSAN is an organization whose goal is to promote networking and education between the students and alumni of the Master's in Telecommunications program. TSAN provides a forum for the exchange of ideas and exposure to opportunities in the telecommunications industry through interaction with industry contacts, faculty, entrepreneurs and other similar organizations. New ENTS students can register with TSAN through OrgSync,  contact the board via email at, or visit their website.

ECE Graduate Student Association (ECE GSA)

The ECE GSA hosts several social, academic, and sporting events for graduate members of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Find out more information about current events and happenings of the ECE GSA at their website.

Graduate Assistantships and On-Campus Jobs

Many students subsidize their educational costs by gaining employment through graduate assistantships (GAs) or other on-campus jobs. GA positions provide salary, access to health benefits, and/or partial tuition remission. Each compensation package is different based on the particular position. There are three types of assistantship positions on campus: Teaching Assitantships (TAs), Research Assistantships (RAs), and Administrative Assistantships (AAs). To be employed as an UM Graduate Assistant, you must be a registered graduate student enrolled in a degree program at the University of Maryland, College Park. See the Graduate School's policies on Graduate Assistantships in the Graduate Catalog for more information. There is no completely centralized listing of all available assistantships, but many are listed at the Human Resources website. The Engineering Co-Op and Career Services Office provides a great starting place for your on-campus job search.

You can also look for part-time on campus jobs by making use of the University Career Center. This jobs are likely to be paid on an hourly basis and will not provide tuition remission. You can broaden your job search once you arrive on campus. You will hear more information regarding on-campus employment during your ENTS Orientation Session. We also encourage you to attend relevant ISSS sessions.

International Students

ISSS New Student Central

The International Student and Scholar Services office (ISSS) has developed the New Student Central resource to provide you with additional information about applying for a Visa, ISSS Orientation, SEVIS, arriving in the United States, getting to campus, housing, immunizations, iTerp/Documents Check-in, and getting connected at UMD. We strongly encourage you to utilize this site as you make your travel plans.

Maryland English Institute

Admission letters for some students specify that they will be required to take a placement test through the Maryland English Institute (MEI). Students can visit the MEI website for more information about the placement test. Students can submit additional TOEFL/IELTS scores up until August 1. If you have specific questions about your provisional admission status, you should contact the Graduate School

How to Locate your Student ID Number (SID)

The SID number is separate from your UID number. Your SID is located in your Admissions Letter and the Enrollment Form in your TerpEngage Application. 

Adjusting to American Culture

ISSS has compiled number of resources in their Arrival Guide, specifically information about Cultural Basics. You can also review Adjusting to American Business Culture, compiled by the Engineering Career Services Office.

If you have further questions about the ENTS Program, beyond what is presented here, please contact us at